You Are Reading

OUGD404 DESIGN PRINCIPLES- 10 things a graphic designer should know

The task is to create a publication consisting of 10 double page spreads using the information from the '10 things' task as content. I will be using my knowledge on grids and layouts which I have learnt over the past few weeks to the test in creating a readable, functional publication that informs and educates other designers like myself.

Below are the two layouts I have created for my publication following my experimentation over the past few weeks with grids and layouts on graph paper as well as indesign. The reason for selecting such simple designs is because I want the book a simple clean aesthetic, a modernist attitude where the function is key.




I have used Fibonacci's sequence to create a paper format for my publication, it is 120mmx160mm. I wanted to create something that wasn't too large and could be held easily and read without straining ones eyes.


Above is the default layout for each double page spread, on the left will be an image or illustration that will visually represent the subject and content on the opposite page. On the right hand page I kept it extremely simple with a headline and two columns that are offset slightly to the right of the page. I have left a large margin down the the sides of the page to accommodate for the publication to be held and not cover up any vital information. 


The double page spread above is used for terminology pages and the contents page. The long horizontal bar at the top is again the headline and the boces below are for titles and content. The boxes vary in height depending on the amount of text that is input but each text box is online horizontally with the text box on the opposite page. Like the previous double page spread layout it follows a simple layout mainly focused on functionality. Each page is the same width as the previous DPS layout to keep everything uniform and tidy, however the headline runs across both pages which could prove difficult lining up the pages is the word does spread across both pages. I still need to decide on position for page numbers but that can added on further into the process.

Front page

The front page will in keeping with the layout and the aesthetics, it will be functional more than anything else; stating the title of the book and an image to visually represent the content of the publication, more than likely the number 10.










Below are variations of different layouts based on my sketches of layouts from the previous task. I prefer the double column page because I feel it fills the page a lot better than the singular column, it also reads easier because your eyes flow along the lines due to there being less words on the page, but not too little.



Now I've decided on the columns I experimented with different colour variations. The all black page with white text looks aesthetically the best but I believe readability is affected because the text is so small. There for I think the plain white page works best or the opposite page black just to break things up a bit. The choice of stock will play an important role because of the lack of colour.

The opposite pages are filled with small illustrations that visually represent the content on the other page, they're only going to be simple as you can see from the subtractive examples;






This what my terminology layout looks like, it doesn't look to exciting but the grid works well and it is completely functional and easy to follow which is my key concern. This is where my stock choice is most important because of the vast white space.


Final printed version





I think the stock really adds to the final finish, if I just used a standard white stock it would probably look boring because there would be to much white space. But the stock I chose to print onto is off white which makes it less boring, adds depth but also the texture is completely different to white stock giving it tactile quality.




Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.