You Are Reading

OUGD404 DESIGN PRINCIPLES- Self evaluation



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD404               


 Module Title
DESIGN PRINCIPLES


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
HARRISON PARK



1.     What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have developed an abundance of skills during this module including; typography deconstruction and reconstruction, precise typographical drawing, colour interpretation and publication design. I believe I have thoroughly applied these skills throughout this module through several tasks like birth of a font, where a few skills come together collectively to assist me in completion of the task, the reconstruction and precision drawing came into play the most as the majority of the work consisted of creating hybrid fonts from existing fonts and precisely drawing onto trace. My developed publication skills came in handy as well towards then end of the module when we were set the task to create 10 double page spreads.

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have developed a traditional approach to design through learning about Fibonacci sequence and how to apply that to design by creating our very own page formats, I also developed cannons and grids which are also traditional methods, these have all been applied to my final DPS informing me on how to create a unique layout and page format.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

My design skills have especially been useful and one of my strengths during in the ‘10 things’ task where my design and content work in harmony to simplify the things that graphic designers should know. My precision and obsessiveness was another strength when it came to laying out body copy and creating layouts.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

A major weakness of my has been my work load and leaving things to the last minute, these massively affects the quality of my analytical ability and also my design ability because I’m just rushing through my work to finish. I will address this by keeping on top of my work when it is set and blogging after every session as opposed to letting it all build up and getting stressed.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

·       I would keep on top of blogging after every session this will allow me to devote more time to the tasks as opposed to rushing through them.
·       Next time I will do more development for design tasks because I feel I have only done the required amount. This will give me more design options in future and strengthen my final designs.
·       I will go into more depth with my analysing because it will give me a greater understanding of the subject at hand next time.
·       I could do more further research outside of sessions which will also give me a greater understanding and enable me to boost my views and opinions.
·       I could also practice more of the skills required like precision drawing or binding techniques. This will massively improve the aesthetics of my final designs in future.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




X
Punctuality



X

Motivation


X


Commitment



X

Quantity of work produced



X

Quality of work produced



X

Contribution to the group



X

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.