You Are Reading

OUGD403 DESIGN SKILLS - Alphabet soup Illustrator

For my illustrator typeface I decided to use my typeface that was supposed to imitate the font expanding in a concertina fashion similar to paper. The reason I decided upon this font is because it came out strongest in the group crit and also it seems like it would work really well as a digital font because of its simplicity.


To start off with I had to choose an existing font to base my font on. I decided on a font called Imagine off dafont because all of the letters are square which meant I could create a universal grid that could apply to every single letter but also because it's boxy it'd be easier to create the concertina effect as opposed to curved letters. Once I had decided on the font I set about creating grids that would help me out a great deal because I can create even columns and every aspect of my font can be precise.


I simply followed these grids and the outcome is above, I changed the colours to a grey and an opacity to easily distinguish between the folds but also create a shadow effect using the different tones. 


Above is the finished A, it's very simple and easy to create but the simplicity is key because if each letter is over complicated they won't work well together or in sequence because it'll be too much on the eye.



Above is the final complete alphabet finished, I think it's come out really well. It''s not really what I expected or wanted to it to look like, It's very rigid and very precise and perfect. I thought it looked better hand rendered with not so perfect lines that added quality and character to each letter rather than a kind of lifeless perfect structure. I think this could be down to the choice of font I based it on was already rather boxy and square where no letter had any individual characteristics. But if I had have chosen a font that had more features it would have been more difficult to create and I wouldn't have been able to get such a clean finish. But i'm happy with it even if it didn't turn out how I wanted it to.

Below is the finished alphabet printed onto matte paper-




Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.