You Are Reading

OUGD403 DESIGN SKILLS - MESSAGE & DELIVERY: DISTRIBUTION

I am placing inside my envelope an infographic to show drug free winners, it is based on the poster 17-14=3 drug 3 winners. The wheel represent riders, the grey penalised for drugs and yellow means clean winners. Along with the graphic there will be a small statement to accompany it and make it more understandable.  Below are 3 different variations of the infograph, I have experimented with the positioning of the key and held a small crit to gain feedback on understandability and aesthetic positioning of the key.  Everybody understood the meaning of the graphic when shown and found it quite easy to follow when accompanied with the brief statement. They also said that the first positioning example is the best as it completes the graphic as a box whereas with the other 2 designs they work well but they just don't work well with the grid the wheels fit into.

2nd panel variations-

For the second panel of the envelope i would like to make the drug problem in the Tour de France more personal and less broad by relating the problem to Lance Armstrong. I'm going to extract the needles from my poster and apply them to Lance Armstrong. I will either use them as a header to accompany the title or use them as an infograph by lining seven in a row which represents the 7 titles he has recently been stripped of. 

Below are 2 variations of text layout that'll accompany the seven syringes; 






This layout of the text follows the gradients of the altitude map that is used in the tour de france, it doesn't really work because there is too much white space on the left and by adding text to this gap I feel it'll clutter the whole info graph.



For this one I have aligned both text and syringes to the right, this again leaves quite a substantial amount of white space on the right this time. The problem is the altitude map down the right hand side of the page it creates an awkward white space.

These two images below I have just played around with the layout of the text by having 'Lance Armstrong' all on one line and on the other splitting it on to separate lines. I think both these ideas are pretty poor, again there is awkward white space but also the link between just the one syringe and the title doesn't clearly make sense without additional information. Also I don't like how the needle from the syringe looks like it relates to the altitude map when positioned horizontally. 







From these small experiments I have taken away quite a lot and gained some very important information. I have learnt that the map on the side does nothing apart from create clutter and problems, that is why I am going to take it off and not use it at all. I have decided to use the seven syringes in a row because without the map along the side it's possible to fill the whole panel with syringes which fills the empty space but also serves a purpose by representing the seven years he had been accused of doping.


This is what my development led to, a simple info graph that needs no description apart from a title. I have decided to add dates into the top of each syringe that represents the years he won supposedly from doping.


For the bottom panel I have simply put the title that relates to the panel above and below. The reason I put the text aligned to the right is to keep with the grid system I used in the first panel, however this leaves me with a massive blank white space. I really like this big white space, I believe it provokes thoughts on the subject and the viewers views on the subject, the empty space says to me "Interpret"...




Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.