You Are Reading

Screen printing

'Screen printing is a stencil method of print making in which a design is imposed on a screen of polyester or other fine mesh, with blank areas coated with an impermeable substance. Ink is forced into the mesh openings by the fill blade or squeegee and onto the printing surface during the squeegee stroke.'

Below shows my experiments with screen printing, I created a simple 2 layer design so that I could experiment with laying up 2 prints on top of each other. The process itself is quite straightforward due to the clear trace you initially print on to align both designs. 

First of all I printed the base design which would form my background image, the decision for choosing a geometric pattern like that is because I intend to apply folding techniques . Not only will the pattern aid me in the folding process but I'm also hoping once folded it'll create a weird disfigured geometric pattern. 



 I then mixed black acrylic to the binder to create my black ink and repeated the whole process again but this time having to lay up each print to print the text perfectly central. As well as using the clear trace I also used masking tape to mark out on the print bed where my paper should go each time. However this fails quite often because I cut down my own stock and each one is never the same size and never perfectly A4, therefore when printing properly it's better to line up each individual print or by pre cut stock.



Below is the end result, because the toner in the printer is a bit dodgy where I printed off my design to be exposed there is blotches and patches in both the text and the orange background. This can be easily rectified by printing off in the mac suite as opposed to the studio because the printer in the mac suite is a laser printer, meaning it's a much cleaner more black print off.






Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.