You Are Reading

OUGD406 DESIGN PRACTICE- Self Evaluation



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD406               


 Module Title
DESIGN PRACTICE


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
HARRISON PARK



1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have developed my screen printing skills, before ‘speaking from…’ I had never screen printed at this college before which meant I learnt all the skills and techniques needed to get a dirty screen all the way to printing my own designs on the vacuum bed. I think I have applied this skill well because it has added an extra quality to my notebooks that would have been somewhat lacking if I had just digitally printed. Screen printing also allowed me to achieve colours I would never be able to achieve through digital printing. I have also improved my knowledge of indesign which have been applied to the ‘horse’ brief effectively, allowing me to have cleaner more crisp images through learning about linking. 


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have developed my bookbinding techniques these have opened up methods of how to create final pieces which has in turn allowed me to create more ambitious concepts that would before that I be unable to make by myself due to my lack of knowledge on the techniques. Another approach to design production is screen printing, this again has opened up my design process because I am now able to produce designs involving colours that are totally unreachable on the studio printer.


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I believe the strengths in my work is the ability to utilise the printer in the studio by printing on to my own stock as opposed to going down to the digital dungeon and wasting my money. It has and will save me a lot of money on printing. Another strength is my understanding of the computer software such as illustrator and in-design, this enables me to work more efficiently through projects and also produce a better piece of design aesthetically.








4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

The main weakness in this module is my blog, I feel that my design is on a higher level compared to my blog because the majority of the time I’m focused on design, meaning my blog is lacking. Every self evaluation I say I will improve my blogging and I feel it has slightly improved through the year but no where near as much as my design skills therefore I am going to devote more time to blogging and keeping on top of it.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1.    Produce more thumbnails for layout and designs this will increase my options for development due to the vast diverse thumbnails.
2.    Not to be so negative when things aren’t going how I predicted they would. This will keep motivation and morale high which enables me to crack on without feeling sorry for myself.
3.    Not leave my blogging to the last minute, this will free up time towards the end of briefs for me to concentrate on the design sides because it does sometimes get slightly neglected because of the rush to blog.
4.    Not to leave screen printing too close to the end, I feel the pressure may have gotten to me slightly as I make a few mistakes rushing. Next time I’ll be able to concentrate on other priorities closer to the end of briefs.
5.    A major thing I’m going to do next time is to not procrastinate so much, this really holds me back and means I end up trying to power through everything at the last minute. I believe that this will give me more time to focus on the entire brief and vastly improve every area of my designs and research.


6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




X
Punctuality




X
Motivation


X


Commitment



X

Quantity of work produced


X


Quality of work produced



X

Contribution to the group



X

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.