You Are Reading

OUGD403 DESIGN SKILLS - MESSAGE DELIVERY: RESEARCH

We were asked to produce designs for a set of three high impact posters that deliver a personal identified message derived from our research into pt1 of this brief. As a starting point we filled in a quick sheet of questions that focused our ideas towards a more specific topic within that newspaper article;
  1. What statement/fact/question are you intending to communicate? I aim to show how heavily drugs are used within pro cycling but more specifically the Tour de France.
  2. What is the tone? The tone of my posters will be to shock people into the reality of drug use in the sport.
  3. Who are my audience? My audience is the general public that don't follow cycling on a regular basis and know little about it. It will mainly be 18-30yr olds who don't have time to watch or read the news. 

Based on my previous research into my newspaper article I already had some initial ideas that will serve well as a basis for my design development. Below I have produced 20 ideas for each; image, type and type and image. They're only quick sketches but they include colour schemes i will hopefully use and basic design ideas. 




From these basic ideas I have chosen a few to transfer over into digital format and develop further;


Above are 3 designs variations i created quickly on illustrator, the on in the centre displays the simple message 'The of Drugs' The yellow signifies the leaders and winners jersey, I decided to create a simple minimal type post because it'll only be glanced at but also for the impact. I think it's short and sweet but really controversial because it's making a general comment across the whole field of cyclists about the use of drugs and not just one specific group of cyclists. With more development and variations I believe this could be the centre from which my other 2 posters circulate. The posters surrounding the centre one is based on naming and shaming the winners of the Tour de France which have failed a drugs test at some point in their career. I don't really Find this to be as effective as the centre idea mainly because it's just a simple name and shame, it doesn't mention when they tested positive or how long ago the won the Tour de France. I believe its kind of false accusations. 



Above are some digital ideas for my image poster that I have developed from my initial sketches. The middle poster has been developed from the one on the left. The polka dots are an iconic symbol of the Tour de France and is a sign that represents the start off a hill climb but also the 'King of the mountains' dons the polka dot jersey. What I have done is manipulated the polka dots so that they represent pills and drugs. However there is a downfall in my idea, cycling is a niche sport and the everyday public won't instantly recognise the relation between the design and the tour. 

Keeping on the idea of drugs I have decided to use drug paraphernalia as the focus point of the poster on the right. I have thrown in the yellow because of its significance and its history with the tour, it represents the drug cheats injecting them selves with greatness and respect as opposed to earning it the hard way. The wheel has been added to reinforce the relationship between the syringe, the colour and cycling.






My type posters I have chosen to keep simple and straight to the point not overcomplicating the message by adding unnecessary type or silly irrelevant layouts. Both messages are quite clear, 'The tour of drugs' and stating that only 3 winners in the last 17 years have won clean and never been penalised for doping in their professional career. 

The design in the middle seems to be my strongest design of the 3, just a simple fact that shocks viewers and opens eyes to the severity of drug use within professional cycling and more so the Tour de France. The grey colour signifies the cheats and how they deserve to ruled out, to be forgotten. I've decided to centre all the information to make it easier to read but so that it also fits the height of the paper.







Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.