You Are Reading

OUGD403 Alphabet soup: typeface 1

Development

From the Kid Acne research and taking inspiration I experimented with the hair like pattern. Firstly i played around manipulating the strokes into different shapes and seeing if the shape was still distinctive and recognisable even when surrounded by other shapes using the same pattern, weight and widths. I used a 0.5pt fine liner initially moving onto a sharpie marker to see what the differences were between the 2. I disovered that the marker pen created more of a dark shadowed effect where as the fine liner was a more delicate, precise and intricate pattern.



From this I the set about applying the pattern to a typeface, I didn't choose any particular font I just created a simple sans-serif font that I could easily apply the pattern to without too much difficulty because of the simple shapes. When it's applied to type it reminds me of leaves and plant structures, it also adds texture and depth to a 2-Dimensional flat object. I also think i has a rather furry look to it, similar to plaited hair or something similar.


The 'O' below i feel has worked out better than the 'I' because it looks like the strokes are wrapping around and smothering the letter, probably because the 'O' is an infinite loop and never has a start or a beginning therefore it is easier to make the pattern flow smoothly. However I did have some difficulty squeezing in strokes but making it feel like they belonged there and have not been added just to fill gaps.


Below is a the basis for my final typeface. Whilst not being based on an existing typeface like mentioned in the brief it is heavily influenced and based on typefaces Wes Wilson used in his work. It is heavy weighted and very round/bubbly, it also has a free flowing psychedelic aesthetic like the majority of Wes Wilson's work.


I then took the typeface I initially designed and developed it further applying the pattern but also playing around with paisley. I experimented with creating letterforms out of paisley but also apply the pattern to the paisley shape and then forming the letters out of the patterned paisley.




The paisley above is an experiment that didn't work very well. From the group crit on friday we discussed that the paisley looked similar to the shrimp sweets you get from the corner shop. Personally i don't like it because it seems untidy and a bit too much stuff happening at once, it can become quite confusing.


Above is development towards my final letter it features all the successful parts of my development; Wes Wilson style font and patterned paisley forming the letter. I find the different curves of strokes and space between strokes a real key feature and success. It mixes up and separates each paisley shape but also gives a layering 3-D effect to it. The strokes add texture and makes me want to reach and stroke it because when drawn on the thin paper it leaves indented marks which again adds to the aesthetics. 







Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.