You Are Reading

OUGD503 Responsive_Brief 5

Secret 7
'We take 7 tracks from 7 of the best-known musicians around and press each one 100 times to 7" vinyl. We then invite creatives from around the world to interpret the tracks in their own style, resulting in a one-of-a-kind sleeve for every 7”. The creatives are made up of famous names through to gems we unearth through artwork submitted to us here on our website.'

Brief
Design a 7" record sleeve for one of the selected tracks, the design must not include the artists name, the track names or lyrics. Only the front of the sleeve is to be designed and is up to personal interpretation.

Response
I found this a difficult brief to do mainly because I had left it until the day before entry submission. I struggled coming up with a strong concept that tied in with the song and the requirements of the brief. 

In the end I went down the route of researching the lyrics, this led me to find the repetition of one line in particular that stood out to me; 'send the call out'. This line led me to link the use of both calls and the secretive nature of the brief and come up with morse code, a secretive call. I simply illustrated the the lyrics using morse code.

Morse Code Variations
Below are a series of morse code designs but each one is slightly different; using a different line weight, filled or outlined. The heavier weighted and curved design below proved to be quite unsuccessful, I feel like it is all a bit too cramped.


I much prefer the example below, it's a lot more spread out and lighter, it feels like it has a lot more to offer and is less brash and in your face.











Final Sleeve
I'm pretty disappointed with my response to the brief, it ended up being an extremely quick turnaround. I felt my concept had potential to be strong, I just didn't leave myself enough development time that would enable me to push the idea further and turn what is a mediocre design into something I could be remotely proud of. This felt like a brief just to add the numbers up.






Final Submission




Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.