You Are Reading

Design for print and web- vinyl

Vinyl
The poster tubes for prints purchased at the festival required to be branded so instead of digitally mocking up a poster tube I thought I'd have a go at vinyl for the first time. I used the same branding that has been used for the whole project (heart and text in box). Below is a screen shot of the file that was used for the vinyl cutter to follow, all that is needed is an illustrator file with everything expanded and created into outlines so that the cutter could follow the lines.


Once the vinyl had been cut I had to spend my time picking off all the negative to leave me with positive image that was ready to be placed on the tubes. Because it isn't all one shape and there are dots involved that need to remain in there position I used adhesive tape which is stuck to the front of vinyl, the rear sheet is then removed to reveal the sticky side whilst still holding everything in position. It can then be placed on the required object whilst everything remains in the same position. Once stuck down on the poster tubes you just peel away the tape, which is easier said than done.


The final vinyl turned out so much better than I expected, the high gloss accompanied with the bright vivd red just pops off of the matte brown poster tubes. To me this is the best part of the identity because it's worked out so well and looks great wrapping around the tube. As you roll around the tube to view the whole image and text you get the light hitting different bits of vinyl making it shimmer in different places and revealing different details. I found them frustrating and difficult to line up and stick down but the finish is definitely worth it, it's so much better than dull matte stickers.


Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.