You Are Reading

OUGD404 DESIGN PRINCIPLES- Visual Literacy

For the session we had to bring with us examples of Gothic, Roman, Block an Script fonts, each one needed A, B and C uppercase and lowercase and printed 10x10 for each letter.

From this we traced the letters manipulating different sections of each letter;



For the letters above we had to trace them and multiply the width of one stem by 100%. By simply enlarging a stem I created a completely new font. The logic behind manipulating letters to create a new font seems simple but the tracing and drawing of the letters is more difficult because of precise curves. To get around this obstacle I used a French curve, however I struggled using the curve because I couldn't get a straight clean curve but with more practice i'll improve.


For the image above we had to manipulate each gothic letter differently. From left to right; For both As I made the stems light and bowls bold, for both Bs I made stems bold and bowls light and for the Cs one was made light as possible and the other bold as possible. From these simple processes I had managed to create 4 new fonts from one existing gothic font. Again I struggled with the curves but I feel I've improved compared to my previous attempts. I still struggled with the Cs but the bowl on the lowercase A is the best curve I have produced using the French curves. 

Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.